httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeffrey W. Baker" <jwba...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Bug Report 5671 - CGI Deadlock
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2000 22:15:59 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> i'm pretty sure squid is full duplex... but i doubt mod_proxy is.  even
> SSL doesn't require full-duplex, it just has a few back-and-forths which
> fit inside most reasonably sized buffers.
>
> to do this stuff properly really requires poll/select and careful state
> machine programming.
>
> it's ironic this topic is coming up right now... i just got my hands on
> the early bind9 code and they've got a really nice async i/o abstraction
> in it which could be used to build a really nice proxy.  the pieces are
> coming together :)

Hrmm, I'm really interested in this.  The reason I started poking around
with Apache 2.0 is that I am writing a buffering HTTP proxy to allow a
higher request rate between Apache 1.3 servers and clients on
connections of varying speeds.  Clearly I would rather leverage solid
open source code than maintain my own.  I remember hearing that async
i/o isn't going to make it into 2.0, but if a third party (bind) comes
up with something nice that can be generalized for Apache, that would be
a huge leap forward for HTTP server technology.

-jwb