httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] "Relayed" Apache API Project
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2000 12:47:28 GMT
"Anil K. Vijendran" wrote:

> Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> > But isn't that the huge attraction of CORBA? I define the API and the
> > wire is handled for me? Also, I get cross-language compatibility, as
> > well as cross-platform.
>
> Yep, right on. Using IDL and IIOP also lets us evolve the Apache-Tomcat
> communication much more easily. But its not so simple.
>
>    * We need to find a free C ORB out there with an acceptable license.

I just spent three days in germany consulting a company that has written
a huge software system for distributed device-independent information
systems all based on CORBA and open source software. They are using MICO
and they say it's pretty clean and solid.

But, quoting them, they easily scale "up", not so easily scale "down".
True, the deal of module relaying is about scalability and separation,
but imposing basic CORBA knowledge and installation for simply having
jserv on another process on the same machine is a little too much for
me.

Question: is there a way we can use both? I mean: if we use IIOP as a
wire protocol, we could write tomcat to _appear_ as a orb, a really
simple one, of course. Or, in case a real ORB is in place, tomcat will
just become a service for that.

We get the best of both worlds: if you have a CORBA environment, tomcat
and apache fit it, otherwise, this mod_relay (now mod_corba??) just
connects directly with tomcat and no other configurations or things like
that.

>    * We need to find one that supports single threaded dispatches of
>      callbacks -- this can be overcome by writing our own small ORB.

Yes, if we do this "inside" the other side of the wire, we win.

>    * We need to find Java ORB that'll work -- there's one in JDK 1.2 but
>      that's another debate -- can we move totally into JDK 1.2? (I can
>      comfortably say its an hr's job to get it running on 1.1.x but there's
>      the licensing nightmares associated with it.)

I know almost nothing about Corba so I can't really say anything here.
But if we remove all the Corba-ish stuff from the orb and use IIOP like
we use AJP today, I don't think it's a huge issue.

Thoughts?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.