httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Piotr Klaban <mak...@man.torun.pl>
Subject Re: announcement
Date Tue, 29 Feb 2000 07:41:50 GMT
On Fri, Feb 25, 2000 at 05:17:48PM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> All well and fine... who's going to code it?
>
> :-)
>
> Note that we could use a PGP-signed email that is processed by the
> mirrors. If the signature is verified, then the mirror can begin the sync
> process.

There is a program pgpcontrol (pgpverify and signcontrol) used to verify PGP
signed USENET News control messages. Works pretty OK, except those times
when there is hundrets of PGP signed msgs from spammers - pgp must eat
a piece of CPU to check that the signature is bad.

> Pushing content is definitely a security risk for the mirrors. Telling
> them to copy ours "now" is a different story.

This is real only on big sites. Small sites run mirroring at nights,
tough night in Europe means evening in USA.

Piotr Klaban