httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@ibm.net>
Subject 2.0: why -D_REENTRANT on FreeBSD?
Date Tue, 29 Feb 2000 02:54:40 GMT
Anybody out there running 2.0 on FreeBSD?

FreeBSD has no kernel threads.  Is there any known benefit to
using libc_r and the user-space thread package, particularly
when using the prefork MPM?

There is definitely extra pathlength on blocking system calls,
and I suspect Apache is breaking some unwritten rule of the
FreeBSD 3.4 thread library, as the ap_select() done by the main
apache process at steady state dissolves into a busy loop of
poll+gettimeofday (so says truss).

Another problem on FreeBSD: process cleanup at termination
fails (child processes left around, SysV semaphores not
cleaned up).  I suspect that it has something to do with
broken libc_r^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hwhatever rule Apache has broken
w.r.t. libc_r, but I haven't gotten that far yet.
          Born in Roswell... married an alien...