httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <>
Subject Re: Wrapping the regex functions for 2.0
Date Tue, 22 Feb 2000 09:43:55 GMT

In article <> you wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2000 at 07:05:37PM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
>> Standardize. If HSREGEX works, then why not use it? It isn't like somebody
>> can depend on a particular library version, if they could end up linking
>> against HSREGEX.
> This has been brought up before, but I think that before 2.0 goes out,
> we should replace the regex library. There are two good alternatives
> that I know of: PCRE, and the new HS regex libs. I'm partial to PCRE,
> because it is visibly maintained right now (there's now a 3.0
> version), and because there are actual tarballs of the package that I
> know of. AFAIK, the new hsregex is only in Tcl tarballs.

Yes, I've worked with PCRE the last year a lot and it's a great library.
The new HSREGEX stuff in Tcl 8 is not easily extractable from there
(it's tied into the Tcl source tree a little bit more than I wanted it
to be). Additionally PCRE's regex functionality rocks anyway ;) So,
please use PCRE (but version 3.1 and not 3.0)! It's certainly currently
the best regex library I know of and is actively maintained.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall

View raw message