httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@stanford.edu>
Subject Re: Wrapping the regex functions for 2.0
Date Sat, 19 Feb 2000 10:25:13 GMT
On Fri, Feb 18, 2000 at 07:05:37PM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
> > Or we could just standardize on a single regex library and not worry
> > about any of this.
>
> Standardize. If HSREGEX works, then why not use it? It isn't like somebody
> can depend on a particular library version, if they could end up linking
> against HSREGEX.

I would tend to agree. We went through this several years back,
though, when we added regex support, and it was concluded (after much
debate) that it was better to use the native library if there was
one. Although for the life of me, I can't remember why.

At any rate, I'm definitely +1 on providing a standard regex API for
Apache, whether it's a wrapper for a choice of libraries, or a
standard library. It's something I meant to do a long while back, but
never quite got around to doing.

--
Alexei Kosut <akosut@cs.stanford.edu> <http://www.stanford.edu/~akosut/>
Stanford University, Class of 2001 * Apache <http://www.apache.org/> *