httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <>
Subject Re: Configuration Syntax for Apache (was XML etc.)
Date Sat, 19 Feb 2000 02:52:25 GMT
Here's my 2 cents on Apache configuration. Apache should not have a
single configuration engine.

There should be a configuration API that provides all the config data
that Apache needs. It should provide dynamic runtime configuration and
an optional extension for actully changing it.

This way, one group can implement and use a 1.3-style configuration
engine. Another can use XML, another can use X resources, or whatever.
I'm sure one would use some sort of database or directory backend. And
modules that supported the optional extension for changing runtime
configuration could be used by an enhanced mod_snmp, mod_tivoli, or

Apache would then probably adopt a single config engine as the
default, and admins who want something that fits with the rest of
their infrastructure or are just really bored can use one of the

There was some discussion about such an API sometime in mid-1999.

Now, I think this would be very cool, and I'd even help, but I don't
want to see it delay Apache 2.0.

View raw message