httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Pool <>
Subject Re: mod_proxy: proposal for v2.0
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2000 13:20:19 GMT
On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 10:56:01AM -0500, wrote:

> >  Do you have any links for these patents?
> There are tons of them.

> Probably the killer method patent is #5327529
> owned by GeoWorks.

I looked at

It is entitled ``US5327529: Process of designing user's interfaces for
application programs'' and seems to have no relation to http at all.

> It basically applies to all content re-formatting and even actually
> applies to HTML itself if they win a current court case about 'when'
> the patent was issued.

This seems like some kind of black comedy.  The patent declarations
seem to describe obvious concepts in the most obfuscatory language

> You can click on GeoWorks link in that article and go to their home
> page and then click on 'Intellectual Property' in the left side-bar
> which take you to this page...
> which talks about their 'right' to enforce the patent(s).

OK, I can see the connection having read their site.  But surely
there's prior art in generic UI markup languages from the 80s, like
IBM's Dialog Manager?

I see in

that RemoteCommunications claims three patents for your HyperSpace
product.  Do you have references for them?

> >  Perhaps we can do a BOF session on these topics?
> Perhaps... tell me what a 'BOF session' is and what that means.

Boring Old Fart session. ;-) (No, Birds of a Feather.  Is anyone
scheduling them, or are they ad-hoc?)

Martin Pool, Technical Support Engineer, Linuxcare, Inc.
+61 2 6262 8990,
Linuxcare. Support for the revolution.

View raw message