httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Patrick Stepp" <pst...@hotmail.com>
Subject ** IMPORTANT IDEA **
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2000 02:19:08 GMT
I'd like to suggest an idea.

Couldn't the Apache Web Server be modified so that the Web Server itself would only accept
"x" number of inbound packets per second from a designated IP or something like that? ie,
Some sort of threshold setting. I'd be more than happy to attempt to mod this fix assuming
someone can point me into the right direction or file to look through.  I believe this would
eliminate the servers such as Amazon, EBay and others that have been overwhelmed with attacks
lately? Just a thought, I think it may be possible to introduce such a fix/enhancement.

Patrick Stepp