httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] "Relayed" Apache API Project
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2000 01:48:11 GMT
If what we're talking about here is making the Apache HTTP server into
a CORBA object (sorry if my terminology is off here), then I think the
main problem is that the API isn't well defined enough for this.
There's probably still way too much digging by modules into places
that they don't belong, so this would have to be resolved first.

But once this is done, I don't see a mod_relay being difficult. I also
don't see any real barriers to having the wrapper that exports a CORBA
interface be thin and completely separate from the rest of Apache, so
that writing another wrapper that uses XML RPC, or whatever, is easy.
But then again, I know little about CORBA.

BTW, I think Ryan pondered this very idea (while doing mod_cgid) and
had some problems with it as well.

An aside...

On Mon, Jan 31, 2000 at 05:06:58PM +0100, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > while Apache 2.0 will address the issues regarding embedding a JVM
> > inside the web server with multi-threading

I'm curious what these issues are exactly. Once reason I ask is that
all MPMs might not address these issues. For example, there will be a
single-threaded MPM (or a mode for an MPM, anyway) in Apache 2.0. This
could very well be the prefork MPM, which is essentially the process
management code from 1.3. So, if there's something that you believe
2.0 is solving, I'd like to know what that is, so that I can try and
make sure that this actually gets solved.