httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Pool <...@linuxcare.com.au>
Subject Re: [Proposal] "Relayed" Apache API Project
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2000 05:33:52 GMT
On Sun, Feb 06, 2000 at 12:47:45AM -0800, costin@eng.sun.com wrote:
> > >I know almost nothing about Corba so I can't really say anything here.
> > >But if we remove all the Corba-ish stuff from the orb and use IIOP like
> > >we use AJP today, I don't think it's a huge issue.
> >
> > Corba is nothing without the compiled IDL interfaces and object ids.
> > Using IIOP to transmit a fixed subset will simply add overhead to
> > whatever it is that you are sending -- eventually it will encounter
>
> The point is that IIOP is not _so_ complex as a protocol, i.e. CDR is not
> the worst marshaling and it's almost identical with what AJP does ( with
> the difference that it supports more data types - with the added
> complexity).

Mm, but it's still not nearly so simple as HTTP.  I really like being
able to ngrep the traffic and immediately see what's happening, netcat
plain-text requests in to port 80 to test, and implement a client in
just a few lines of any language.

More importantly, if the protocol is simple, then it's relatively easy
to write servers that are good at specific tasks: Boa for static
files, a pure-Java system for servlets, Apache for everything else.
It's easy to experiment and prototype and debug.

Given the state of Java and HTTP today I wonder whether it would be
better to build a toolkit of Java classes for building HTTP servers,
rather than using AJP to plug into Apache.

Where's Apache going to go in the future?  Is it going to be a single
big do-everything program, or a cluster of complementary projects?

--
Martin Pool, Technical Support Engineer, Linuxcare, Inc.
+61 2 6262 8990