httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/main http_core.c
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2000 21:19:06 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Daniel Lange wrote:
>
> > At 17:24 03.02.00 , you wrote:
> > >I can see the confusion with 'AddDefaultCharset Default' not being
> > >the same as the "default" value when AddDefaultCharset isn't
> > >set... Basically, I was looking for an easy way to enable it and
> > >default it without the user having to type the iso-xxxx stuff.
> > >But AddDefaultCharset On looked too binary.
>
> ...right, which is one of the reasons I used two directives in the first
> place.  That, plus it simply seems cleaner not overloading one directive
> to have two different functions, when the code makes it obvious that there
> are two different things going on.

Well, I don't think it overloads the directive. Rather, the directive
controls the default charset which is added. None means no charset
is added :) We have similar directives which follow the form: none,
some, all. ServerSignature comes to mind as another example which
enables and sets. I agree the word "default" is clumsy. Maybe Western? Nah...
that doesn't seem right either.

The docs are VERY clear what AddDefaultCharset Default means, however.

                "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??"