httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <stodd...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: mod_mmap_static translation hook is never called
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2000 16:11:19 GMT

> "Bill Stoddard" <stoddard@raleigh.ibm.com> wrote:
> >
> >There is a bug here but I'm not sure of the proper way to fix it.
> >[...] mod_mmap depend on mod_core being run before it is run to set
> >the r->filename field. In Apache 1.3, mod_mmap_static calls
> >core_translate directly (and we can do the same here, but it's such
> >an ugly hack...). How should this work with the new hooks?
>
> What mod_mmap_static wants is an extra hook between filename
> translation and the directory walking because only at that point it is
> able to say "I know about that file!" and short-circuit all the
> stat()s. A more general information cacheing system would hook in
> there too; I don't know whether this is enough argument for adding
> another hook.

Yes, I know why mod_mmap needs the hook. I am working on a file handle cache
for Windows and the extra stat really sucks up cycles on Windows. The easy
way out is to call core_translate directly, which is what we were doing in
Apache 1.3 (is this why the module is considered experimental :-). I don't
want to add an extra hook either. I was hoping for a breakthrough in-sight.
Bleh, it's as bad as I thought...

Bill