httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <>
Subject Re: Small direction change for APR's file I/O routines.
Date Sun, 09 Jan 2000 20:58:56 GMT

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> I am thinking of redefining the stat structure within APR, and just having
> ap_stat and ap_get_fileinfo fill out a public structure.  There is really
> no reason for this information to be in an incomplete type.  Any field
> that does not have a good implementation on a platform, could just have an
> error condition.  For example, if the uid field didn't map well to
> Windows, we could just leave that field with a -999 in it, which would be
> invalid.

actually better than an error condition would be a compile-time
conditional such as HAS_UNIX_UID, HAS_UNIX_GID, or something like that.
this was an area which was painful in NSPR too -- there was no way to
implement mod_userdir, for example.

> think this is the correct direction to take.  This will also make a stat
> cache easier to add if APR decides it is necessary later on.  :-)

i would think a stat cache would be an application-level thing rather than
in a portability library.

View raw message