httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: time overhaul
Date Sun, 09 Jan 2000 20:31:57 GMT
On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> ap_now doesn't return ap_status_t.  Since gettimeofday does define some
> errno values, and I am pretty sure the windows get time functions willl
> have errno conditions, I don't like this.  Plus, it goes against the APR
> design doc.

the return values from gettimeofday are meaningless, nobody ever tests
them -- and they only occur if you do something wrong, which we don't...
the current time always exists, if some kernel has trouble reporting it,
tough.

> There are no ap_get_os_*time functions.

this seems to defeat the purpose of a portability layer... i'm confused.

> The biggest difference to the core code, is that ap_now can't be used in
> calls to other functions, if anybody has a real problem with this, speak
> up now.

yup i've a problem with it.  think of ap_now() as a global variable rather
than a function call please :)

Dean