httpd-dev mailing list archives

From cos...@eng.sun.com
Subject Re: [Proposal] "Relayed" Apache API Project
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2000 21:23:57 GMT
> I guess that the question here is what are we looking for, CORBA is good
> when you need to implement a flexible general purpose object interface.
> IMHO this is not such case, I think (and correct me if I am wrong) that
> what we are looking for is a fast request forwarding with callback
> capabiliies...

Corba is a huge thing, IIOP is just a simple binary protocol.
Well, it's not simple - but that's because it support many complex types,
etc - for our purpose we can just use a subset of IIOP.

Yes, we need a request forwarding and callback protocol - but instead of
defining an arbitrary encoding and arbitrary message format we can just
reuse CDR ( strings are sent as legth + bytes - like in AJP ), and we can
just use the message format of IIOP ( MsgType, magic, version, etc).

> So, it seems that using an AJP2.1 based protocol is going to be a much
> simpler and adequate approach.

Agree - but with minimal changes in Ajp2.1 we can use the same encoding
and same message format ( it's not a big difference between what we have
now), and we'll end up with a subset of IIOP ( which hopefully will be
interoperable with real ORBs).

The cost is not so big - but it'll give us a many benefits !
Just take a look at IIOP spec, remove everything that we don't use, and
what remains is almost AJP21.

Costin