httpd-dev mailing list archives

From cos...@eng.sun.com
Subject Re: [Proposal] "Relayed" Apache API Project
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2000 19:54:28 GMT
On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Assaf Arkin wrote:

> > > Such "Apache relay protocol" server could be either written in C or with
> > > other languages, depending on the needs (i.e. for relayed servlet
> > > engines, mod_relay + mod_java should become a single protocol adapting
> > > layer that drives the servlet engine request/response generation
> > > facility) and should be able to handle multiple connections at once,
> > > keeping them alive for performance reasons.
>
> Makes all the sense in the world. Considering the cost of spawning a JVM
> process, using a TCP/IP relay (or any other IPC mechanism) would work
> better.

First VM is very expensive, next is cheaper.
With Apache 2.0 it's not a problem - and we are talking about future here.
( mod_java is intended for Apache 2.0, and it's just an option you'll
have, the default will still be relay ).

> > > The "Apache Relay Protocol" could be based on existing AJP, or based on
> > > more standard full-duplex protocols such as IIOP or anything else.
>
> I would recommend some binary protocol over IIOP. The module is not
> resuable outside of a small set of servers, so we don't need to cater to
> the fancy of IIOP, RMI, XML, etc. Plus, straight TCP/IP is leaner and
> meaner.

IIOP is binary :-) Probably too binary, and it support straight TCP/IP (
plus unix sockets, etc). I just hate re-inventing the wheel, but I agree
IIOP is probably too complex.

Costin