httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: ap_ac_config.h, os.h & ap_config_auto*.h
Date Sat, 29 Jan 2000 02:18:12 GMT
On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 12:46:32PM -0500, rbb@apache.org wrote:
> > Okay, I've looked into the whole HSREGEX issue now.  I don't see a real
> > problem.  As long as we always include ap_config.h before we include
> > httpd.h, this is defined correctly.  This may not work for external
> > modules like php that may try to use thid definition.  I need to look into
> > this still.  I am about to commit code to fix this so that AP_USE_HSREGEX
> > is defined correctly on all platforms.
>
> Is there a problem with the solution I sent out last week?
>
> All our regex functions should be ap_ wrapped, hence always exported
> by Apache, so we won't need an AP_USE_HSREGEX in the first place.

That adds a maintenance burden on us when we need to integrate patches or
updates from the original distribution.

(okay, maybe it doesn't apply to hsregex... I don't think I've seen a
 checkin there in the year I've been watching :-)

As a general policy, I don't think we should be altering our bundled libs
if we can avoid it. Keep it minimal...

Re: ap_config.h. I'm with Ben. If httpd.h needs it, then I think it should
include it. If httpd.h *can't* include it, then why? I'm presuming because
it has conflicting symbols that third party modules might not want. But if
they can't include it, then httpd.h will be incorrect (by definition).

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/