httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Small direction change for APR's file I/O routines.
Date Sun, 09 Jan 2000 21:02:18 GMT
> > I am thinking of redefining the stat structure within APR, and just having
> > ap_stat and ap_get_fileinfo fill out a public structure.  There is really
> > no reason for this information to be in an incomplete type.  Any field
> > that does not have a good implementation on a platform, could just have an
> > error condition.  For example, if the uid field didn't map well to
> > Windows, we could just leave that field with a -999 in it, which would be
> > invalid.
>
> actually better than an error condition would be a compile-time
> conditional such as HAS_UNIX_UID, HAS_UNIX_GID, or something like that.
> this was an area which was painful in NSPR too -- there was no way to
> implement mod_userdir, for example.

A compile time option would work just as well.

> > think this is the correct direction to take.  This will also make a stat
> > cache easier to add if APR decides it is necessary later on.  :-)
>
> i would think a stat cache would be an application-level thing rather than
> in a portability library.

That is an opinion not held by everybody in the group.  The stat cache was
not my idea, and it has been suggested to me multiple times.  I have
already said it won't go into aPR 1.0, because I want to stabilize APR
first, but if enough people ask for it, I will add a stat cache.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd
RTP, NC 27709