httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/standard mod_actions.c mod_asis.c mod_autoindex.c mod_cgi.c mod_dir.c mod_include.c mod_mime.c mod_negotiation.c mod_userdir.c
Date Sun, 09 Jan 2000 21:07:17 GMT

> >  -ap_status_t ap_get_filetype(ap_filetype_e *, ap_file_t *);
> >  +ap_status_t ap_get_filetype(ap_filetype_e *, ap_fileperms_t);
>
> This API change is not right. It assumes a file's type can be derived from a
> ap_fileperms_t which is not true for all platforms, probably only true for
> unix. The OS/2 implementation of ap_get_filetype() needs the file handle.

This is actually harder to do than I had hoped.  The problem is that
Apache no longer stores a copy of the file handle in the request
structure.  Now, we store a pointer to an IOL, which if you follow far
enough, you can resolve to a file handle.  This is what caused me to make
this change originally.  I think we basically have a few options.

1) Add a ap_iol_filetype which returns the file type from the IOL.

2) Merge the IOL stuff into APR types.  This was discussed a while ago,
and there are people who don't like this idea, but it does solve this
problem.

3) Re-design the IOL stuff to hide the internals a bit less.

I really don't care what we do, but I see no way to redesign this code to
fix the problem without affecting the IOL's in some big way.  I'll
probably put this off until tomorrow, because I don't really feel like
dealing with it today.

Ryan

6209 H Shanda Dr.
Raleigh, NC 27609		Ryan Bloom -- thinker, adventurer, artist,
				     writer, but mostly, friend.