httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Pool <...@linuxcare.com.au>
Subject Re: Crypto laws & binaries
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2000 01:35:40 GMT
On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Brian Havard wrote:

> Hi all,
>   Has anyone looked into the recent changes to US crypto law enough to answer
> the question, can I make an Apache+mod_ssl binary package available on
> www.apache.org without getting ASF into trouble?

My understanding (not being a US lawyer, mind you) is that your question
cannot be answered in the abstract; the government considers each case
one-by-one.

>   I'd like to do so because it's quite big (3.4MB for the binary w/src) and
> my own server only has limited bandwidth.

We may be able to put it up on a well-connected machine in Australia if
that would help you.  Of course it still would be very interesting to see
whether it can be distributed from the US.

--
Martin Pool, Support Engineer, Linuxcare, Inc.
+61 2 6262 8990