httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: mod_proxy: proposal for v2.0
Date Thu, 27 Jan 2000 16:21:39 GMT
On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Graham Leggett wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This has been brought up before, so with the previous discussions in
> mind, I would like to put forward the following proposal for the future
> of mod_proxy within v2.x.
>
> I would like to propose the deprecation of the "forward proxy"
> functionality of the mod_proxy module, reverting it to purely a "reverse
> proxy" implementation.
>
> I have found (and fixed) a few more bugs in the existing code, and plan
> to do a major rewrite of it in the next few weeks. What will make my job
> easier is to focus on the reverse proxy and caching behavior within the
> code, which has become really convoluted and confusing.

...and then someone will come along later and want to add a forward proxy
and then tat part will be convoluted and confusing.

I really don't see the point in not supporting normal proxying.  A lot
of people use it, despite its current problems.  I don't see how you can
save that much implementation just by doing a reverse proxy, since to do
that properly requires most of the work anyway, so you may as well design
it so the whole thing works...