httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] "Relayed" Apache API Project
Date Sun, 30 Jan 2000 05:45:42 GMT

On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> This picture explains what I mean:
>
>  apache <-> mod_relay <-------tcp/ip------> mod_relay <-> module
>
> note the two-ways arrows.

Stefano, I think the best place for this would be the usual new-httpd
list. Note that this is actually a lot simpler than you suggest in
your mail, and little work.

For one of my customers, we have done much the same; though I'd draw it
differently:

>  apache <-> mod_relay <------tcp/ip--------> apache_light <-> mod_*
>             mod_*            'module
>                               handler array
>                               mapper protocol'

Do note that this is close to actually (and quite simply) using mod_proxy
for certain cases; which is similar to functionality things like Cisco's
Local director offer you:

>  apache <-> mod_proxy <------tcp/ip--------> apache_light <-> mod_*
>             mod_*            http/1.x

This is in particular important to note; as we found that some of the more
complex 'connectors' are those related to logging and configuration. Which
have subtle atomic/authoritative/autonomous semantics which are hard to
distribute in such a hidden way.

I.e. configuration management in large server setups becomes much more
complex than originally anticipated; making us regret taking the
'top/middle' solution and actually now concentrating a bit more on the
bottom solution.

Dw