httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <ben...@basistech.com>
Subject Proposals for Improvements in International Character Support
Date Thu, 27 Jan 2000 12:57:43 GMT
Dear Apache Development,

I would like to contribute some enhancements to Apache in the area of
international text support. Since I am a (proposed) new contributor, I
thought it would be polite to ask about the tastefulness of my ideas before
bothering to code and submit them.

My proposal is as follows: I want to enhance mod_mime to understand Unicode.

Unicode files, whether UCS-2 or UTF-8, begin with BOM characters. While it
is possible to teach the existing magic number parser to recognize these, it
is cumbersome, and the 'code' would have to be repeated for each MIME type
that can be implemented as a Unicode file (text/html, text/plain, XML,
etc.). I propose, instead, to make Unicode recognition a separate axis in
mod_mime. If the magic number parse yielded no other charset parameter, and
the file was recognizably Unicode, I propose to send out an appropriate
charset for Unicode.

Thanks in advance for your consideration,

Benson Margulies
http://www.basistech.com