httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject mod_proxy: proposal for v2.0
Date Thu, 27 Jan 2000 08:53:06 GMT
Hi all,

This has been brought up before, so with the previous discussions in
mind, I would like to put forward the following proposal for the future
of mod_proxy within v2.x.

I would like to propose the deprecation of the "forward proxy"
functionality of the mod_proxy module, reverting it to purely a "reverse
proxy" implementation.

I have found (and fixed) a few more bugs in the existing code, and plan
to do a major rewrite of it in the next few weeks. What will make my job
easier is to focus on the reverse proxy and caching behavior within the
code, which has become really convoluted and confusing.

My plans include:

- a shared memory cache in addition to the disk cache.
- upgrade to HTTP/1.1.
- extend functionality to cache (in memory) local objects in addition to
remote ones.

Does anyone violently oppose what I'm trying to do? Am I on the wrong
track here?

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon