httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul J. Reder" <rede...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [Patch]: Fix mod_mime to hook in the right order. Second attempt.
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2000 19:32:48 GMT
Ben,

For one (possibly fantasticly) good reason. If there is a type and
handler registered with mod_mime (say AddHandler server-parsed .shtml
AddType text/html .shtml), but mod_mime_magic is run first then the
shtml file will be (correctly) identified as text/html, but the
handler will never be called. Thus server side includes are broken.

This happens partly because this hook is created to run FIRST rather
than ALL. So when mod_mime_magic returns OK, its all over. Not to
mention that if mod_mime can correctly identify the file, why pay the
performance price of mod_mime_magic for every request.

--
Paul J. Reder
"Remember, Information is not knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom;