httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: apache2-ng7
Date Sat, 08 Jan 2000 17:28:02 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> Now I become really bothered, Ken. Could you please stop writing such
> stuff without knowing details?! As I've said already _multiple times,
> I've _NOT_ taken the "bits from src/helpers" to create shtool.

I know it and that's explicitly why I said "bits" and "other places."

>           Grrrr... it's not my problem that you all always think if
> something was contributed to Apache the author should loose all
> control and copyright over it it.

Stop making generalities, please.  A very limited number of people
have been part of these various discussions, and yet you seem to
want to paint *everybody* with the same brush.

But your assertion is at least partially correct.  Because if the
author isn't ceding control over it, then it isn't a donation.
There's a difference between 'donating' and 'allowing to use.'
One applies to mod_rewrite, the other applies to shtool -- two
different situations.

> Now you should immediately stop, Ken. I'm very angry now.

I should stop because you're angry?  Are you angry because
I'm completely wrong, or are you angry because I'm *not*?
People on this list make each other very angry all the time --
but they don't shut up as a consequence.

>                                                           mod_rewrite
> was donated and the documenation was donated in 1996, yes. The
> rewriteguide didn't exist at that time, of course.

I see now that I was mistaken; it wasn't added until March of 1998.
I apologise for my misunderstanding.

But if you went to the effort of writing the rewriteguide, and
putting the hyperlink in, what was your motivation for doing
it that way rather than checking it in directly to the Apache
documentation tree?  Help me understand your motives so I don't
mistakenly guess about them.

> > No-one else here seems to take such pains to make it clear what
> > they've done, nor so prominently.
>
> Grrr... next time I expect you to even asks why I still use
> @engelschall.com as my Email address instead of @apache.org
> when I post to new-httpd or what? Tz...

It was an observation.  Was it incorrect?

> > not, sometimes it comes across to me as, 'for the good of RSE first,
> > and Apache second.'
>
> Fine, if this is the group opinion then it's really time to stop
> contributing at all. Seems like the group has the wrong problems.

Once again you're twisting things, choosing to interpret one
person's stated individual perception as the mass opinion of
the entire group.  Why?
--
#ken    P-)}

Conference!  <http://ApacheCon.Com/>