httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: apache2-ng7
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2000 23:50:50 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> But now we came close to the _real_ reason for you, Jim. It seems
> your complains were never actually of technical nature nor of
> license nature: all your problems and complains are based on just
> one single point - you seem to generally dislike any software which
> has my name on.

That may be your perception of the situation, but that doesn't make
it fact.  For instance, I don't share that perception.  I don't
think he dislikes the software, I think he dislikes the blatant
attribution.  But I could be mistaken.

As a member of the group, when you took the bits from src/helpers
(and other places) to create shtool, did you donate the result
back to Apache?  No, you advertise/d it as 'GNU shtool, copyright RSE.'
The mod_rewrite documentation prominently says it was invented and
written and donated to Apache by RSE.  And you've never donated
the more comprehensive rewriteguide documentation, requiring that
people go to *your* site to get it.

No-one else here seems to take such pains to make it clear what
they've done, nor so prominently.  It's quite possible that they
don't understand why you do it, or, more to the point, why you
don't *not* do it, as they do.  Or perhaps they do understand why.
In any event, your behaviour differs from the group norm, and
that causes friction.  Whether it's an accurate perception or not,
sometimes it comes across to me as, 'for the good of RSE first, and
Apache second.'

That's just how it hits me sometimes.
--
#ken    P-|}