httpd-dev mailing list archives

From John Wojtowicz <wojto...@tcs-sec.com>
Subject Authentication and ProxyPass
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2000 15:20:55 GMT
I have a question regarding authentication and the ProxyPass directive,
in mod_proxy.

I've setup a ProxyPass vhost (reverse proxy, web mirror, or whatever
your terminology is)  and set authentication on it.  When my web
browser sends a request to the vhost, it sends back a Proxy Auth
error.  The browser refuses to bring up the user/password dialog
box, because it isn't configured to use a proxy.

My question is... is this a bug in the browser, or in the Apache
web server?  Also if it is a bug in apache shouldn't the ProxyPass
vhost *always* send an Auth error rather than a Proxy Auth error,
to cause the browser to display the user/password dialog?

(conversely, the should a normal proxy *always* send a Proxy Auth error
 rather than an Auth error?)

John
--
John Wojtowicz, Secure Systems Engr.  ph:    (703) 318-7134
Trusted Computer Solutions, Inc.      fax:   (703) 318-5041