httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: ap_ac_config.h, os.h & ap_config_auto*.h
Date Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:21:34 GMT
On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 06:18:12PM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
> > All our regex functions should be ap_ wrapped, hence always exported
> > by Apache, so we won't need an AP_USE_HSREGEX in the first place.
>
> That adds a maintenance burden on us when we need to integrate patches or
> updates from the original distribution.

We don't have to change the regex code itself. We just add a wrapper
to the regex code in Apache. Then, the Apache binary has its binding
to whatever regex library is in use already set up, and modules just
use the Apache code.

In fact, this has already done to a certain extent since May. We're
already stubbing out regexec() to avoid collisions between HS regex
and what the system provides. (Search for ap_regexec in
src/main/util.c in 1.3 and 2.0.) All I'm suggesting is to extend this
to all the regex functions. I'm surprised we don't already have to.

> (okay, maybe it doesn't apply to hsregex... I don't think I've seen a
>  checkin there in the year I've been watching :-)

Speaking of that, PHP has made changes to their regex libraries to fix
64-bit system problems (IIRC). We should either incoprorate those
changes or switch to a new regex library. I vote for the latter:
either the new HS regex stuff in Tcl (is there an actual tarball
relase for that?) or PCRE.

> As a general policy, I don't think we should be altering our bundled libs
> if we can avoid it. Keep it minimal...

Agreed.