httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sascha Schumann <sas...@schumann.cx>
Subject Re: How to build 2.0 with autoconf
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2000 18:08:34 GMT
On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 01:50:53PM -0000, David Reid wrote:
> I have to say that I agree with Ryan on this.  Having some platforms using
> one mechanism and other using something "home-grown" is a recipe for
> disaster.  Windows is a different case and we should essentially ignore it.
>
> Autoconf seems to work OK, it just needs some fiddling to get it working as
> it needs to for other non-unix platforms, and I suspect the same will be
> true of some of the more exotic unix platforms out there.

    David, you asked me some questions privately. Sorry, I didn't
    have time to answer them all (I've just returned from the PDM
    in Tel Aviv). Were they answered by someone else in the mean
    time?

> Libtool?  If it's going to produce more problems than it solves then lets
> find something else.  If a home grown solution is going to work then lets do
> that.

    There are benefits in improving (read adding support for
    more platforms) libtool:

    -   libtool is well maintained by other people, so we don't
        lose time doing it ourselves
    -   the whole Open Source community benefits, because our
        improvements can be used by other projects

> As much as I hate to bring up decisions (not a strong point within the group
> :-)) we probably need to make one before too long.

    Well, I think it's pretty clear what I think about the issue.
    Nevertheless, I value your opinion and your input on it.

--

          Regards,

                            Sascha Schumann
                                 Consultant