httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Wilfredo Sanchez <>
Subject Re: How to build 2.0 with autoconf
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2000 19:06:31 GMT
| Supporting both when simply the former suffices seems
| like unnecessary extra code.  Is it simply for reasons of
| performance?

- Getting VPATH to work is quite easy, and is very low maintenance.
- It is a lot faster to build externally with VPATH than with a
shadow tree.
- It tends to be more reliable.  I've had some problems with
mkshadow, which are nonexistant with VPATH.
- Compliance with GNU makefile standards VPATH (run configure from
the build root and type make there), and I think that this is a
worthy goal if we're using GNU build tools, if only so those of us
who manage piles of autoconf'ed projects can build them consistantly.

       Wilfredo Sanchez,
Apple Computer, Inc., Core Operating Systems / BSD
          Open Source Engineering Lead
   1 Infinite Loop, 302-4K, Cupertino, CA 95014

View raw message