httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Wilfredo Sanchez <wsanc...@apple.com>
Subject Re: How to build 2.0 with autoconf
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2000 19:06:31 GMT
| Supporting both when simply the former suffices seems
| like unnecessary extra code.  Is it simply for reasons of
| performance?

- Getting VPATH to work is quite easy, and is very low maintenance.
- It is a lot faster to build externally with VPATH than with a
shadow tree.
- It tends to be more reliable.  I've had some problems with
mkshadow, which are nonexistant with VPATH.
- Compliance with GNU makefile standards VPATH (run configure from
the build root and type make there), and I think that this is a
worthy goal if we're using GNU build tools, if only so those of us
who manage piles of autoconf'ed projects can build them consistantly.

	-Fred

--
       Wilfredo Sanchez, wsanchez@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc., Core Operating Systems / BSD