httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: 1.3.11 Test Tarball Ready
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2000 08:33:19 GMT

In article <388C7923.7D899D50@us.ibm.com> you wrote:
> Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>>Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
>>>
>>> Do you not like the --enable-module=most enabling mod_mime_magic? I
>>> actually think that's okay; that's what most is supposed to mean.
>>
>>Yes, I dislike this part.  IMHO, mmm should only be included
>>with '=all' -- it's pretty close to experimental.  Well, not
>>really -- but it can have a significant impact on the server,
>>so I don't like it ever being enabled without the builder's
>>explicit request and awareness for/of it.
>
> Sounds like the consensus is that m_m_m should not be part of the binary
> generated by binbuild.sh .  I will create a patch to remove m_m_m from the
> --enable-module=most list;
> that seems the most straightforward solution, in my inexperienced opinion.  An
> option like --enable-module=almost-most seems silly, unless there's other
> modules that should be removed from the binary distributions.
> Suggestions/opinions?

Hmmm... I suggest to add --disable-module=mod_mime_magic to binbuild.sh
instead of patching configure to exclude mod_mime_magic under
--enable-module=most. Because the "most" originally stands for "all"
except those modules which cannot be _built_ on all platforms. It
wasn't intended to mean "all modules except those which might confuse
people under run-time". Decide on your own, but please keep the INSTALL
document in sync and document it more clearly what "most" then means.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com