httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: How to build 2.0 with autoconf
Date Fri, 21 Jan 2000 17:38:20 GMT

In article <200001211559.KAA21281@devsys.jaguNET.com> you wrote:
> pg@sweng.stortek.com wrote:
> [...]
>> o Is it possible for me to run autoconf only on Solaris, where it's
>>   relatively well supported, and use its purportedly portable
>>   output on both Solaris and OS/390?
>
> Yes, in theory. Sometimes it doesn't work because autoconf generates
> complex sh code which overflows some buffers on old sh's and thus
> the user may need to run it under bash or ksh.

And another reason why, as I tried to explain, using Autoconf scripts
only as backend tools is reasonable for Apache: This way the frontend
script can automatically find a better shell before running the Autoconf
stuff. And there are lots of similar environment adjustments which such
a frontend can and has to adjust...
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com