httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src CHANGES Configure
Date Wed, 12 Jan 2000 16:22:32 GMT

In article <200001120827.TAA03421@silk.apana.org.au> you wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 07:55:25 +0100, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>
> [...]
>>If it is achieved by SHLIB_SUFFIX_NAME=dll then this is wrong. Instead
>>a second variable then should be created: SHMOD_SUFFIX_NAME! Because
>>SHLIB_SUFFIX_NAME is originally only for creating libraries.
>
> Well, from my perspective the modules ARE libraries (DLL=Dynamic Link
> Library). I don't see any difference between the shared core and the modules.
> They're both lumps of code loaded at run time.

The point is that the .so extension on module DSOs are 1. not a
technical requirement and 2. a convention which is hard-coded also in
the Configuration system (AddModule .../mod_xxx.so!), etc. So, although
it is correct that we can name even the modules .sl or .dll or whatever,
our configuration system never really supported anything else beside
.so. Or if it is used (as it was tried in using SHLIB_SUFFIX_NAME for
this) other stuff fails.

So, in short: You say that using .so on OS/2 breaks because .dll is a
requirement even for loading module DSO there, right? Ok, accepted that
OS/2 then needs mod_foo.dll. But not via setting SHLIB_SUFFIX_NAME,
please. Because this then breaks other stuff. So I think the only full
solution is:

1. use SHLIB_SUFFIX_NAME=sl for HPUX
2. use SHMOD_SUFFIX_NAME=dll for OS/2
3. adjust the config stuff to support 1) and 2)

Please feel free to provide a patch which makes OS/2 and HPUX happy.
Thanks.
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com