httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src CHANGES Configure
Date Wed, 12 Jan 2000 06:55:25 GMT

In article <200001120124.MAA24384@silk.apana.org.au> you wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 18:04:20 +0100, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>
> [...]
>>Why? Because the .so extension on mod_foo.so is just a _convention_ in
>>Apache. It is not required, because we manually load the files anyway.
>>SHLIB_SUFFIX_NAME is different. It always has to match the extension
>>the systems dynamic loader requires, because it is for loading a real
>>_library_ under SHARED_CORE. So the above patch is correct, because
>>using SHLIB_SUFFIX_NAME for the decision on the module DSO extension
>>is already a violation of our intentions. Instead the rule is: .so
>>is a convention for the module DSO extension, SHLIB_SUFFIX_NAME is
>>the extension for shared _libraries_. So under HPUX mod_foo.so and
>>libapache.sl _IS_ correct. Full stop ;)
>
> Err, no, that's not the right solution. What you're doing there is undoing
> part of the patch that allows modules to be built as OS/2 dlls. They require
> an extension of DLL and that is achived using SHLIB_SUFFIX_NAME=dll

If it is achieved by SHLIB_SUFFIX_NAME=dll then this is wrong. Instead
a second variable then should be created: SHMOD_SUFFIX_NAME! Because
SHLIB_SUFFIX_NAME is originally only for creating libraries.

> If HPUX requires a different extension for its shared core and it loadable
> modules then you should split SHLIB_SUFFIX_NAME into, say SHCORE_SUFFIX_NAME
> and SHMOD_SUFFIX_NAME.

Yes, as I said. Just that SHCORE can be SHLIB, because actually
_IS_ a real library.
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com