httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Eugene Lee <eug...@anime.net>
Subject Re: Ever visited "http://apache.org rules!" ?
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2000 11:31:23 GMT
On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 11:36:45AM +0100, Martin Kraemer wrote:
:
:Try to enter the URL
:
:    http://apache.org rules!
:
:(note the space!) into the Location field of your Communicator or
:IExplorer. Yes, that IS possible, and it will even return the entry
:page of the ASF.

Communicator 4.71 for MacOS
	Unable to locate the server
	apache.org rules!.
	Please check the server name and try again.

Lynx Version 2.8.2rel.1 (01 Jun 1999)
	Looking up apache.org rules!.
	Invalid hostname apache.org rules!
	Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host.
	lynx: Can't access startfile http://apache.org rules!/

It's annoying when Navigator/Communicator exhibits different behaviors
between platforms.  What version of Communicator are you using?

:However, relative links seem broken (some images appear, others don't).
:Looks like absolute URL references are somehow stripped by Communicator
:at the first blank, while relative URLs aren't.
:
:However, IMHO Apache should treat such a request as a 400 error.
:Must have a look at my URL parsing routines to find out why this is
:broken.

The last time I looked at those parsing routines, I don't recall that it
performed strict charset checking.  I don't even want to think about all
the web pages I've seen that have with URLs containing JIS, much less
the web servers that handled such URLs containing JIS.  But I suspect if
strict charset checking was enabled, lots of non-Western web sites (and
a few Western ones) would break pretty hard.

--
Eugene Lee
eugene@anime.net