httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: apache2-ng7
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2000 16:57:48 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> <personal>
> But now we came close to the _real_ reason for you, Jim. It seems your
> complains were never actually of technical nature nor of license nature:
> all your problems and complains are based on just one single point - you
> seem to generally dislike any software which has my name on. Thanks for
> making it clear, Jim. I don't know why this is the case for you and what
> I've done for this (you can explain it to me in _private_ mail if you
> want), but at least this way I know that I don't have to discuss this
> topic any longer _here_ (because with such a base opinion on your side
> its clear why we all the time will talk into different directions and
> never meet).
> </personal>

It's NOT personal. I would object to any code that ASF uses that would
unduly promote one individual, when we could easily create our own
that promotes ASF. This has always been my point. Always. I have
ALWAYS been vocal about this being a group, and that soapboxes are
dangerous. It's when individuals stop thinking about the project, and
more on their own goals, that projects fork off. Very, very rarely is
it technically based. It's a power and control issue. Hell, I used to
say that credits in CHANGES that people in ASF did should just say "ASF"
and only those outside patchers be mentioned by name.

I'd be the first to agree that am I most likely more more sensitive to
the matter than I should be. But it's one that I hold dear and, even
more importantly, practise. I don't foam at the mouth and then use
my association with Apache to prostitute myself. (and I'm NOT saying
that people are doing that). If I am interviewed or whatever about
Apache, I mentioned NOTHING at all about anything else. I don't bring
up my other stuff. And vice-versa. I have even seriously considered
changing all my Apache related info to reflect jim@apache.org instead
of my current address, but my partners (and wife) have threatened to
kill me if I do :)  Sure, I _have_ benefitted from ASF, and some things
have come down the path to me that most probably would not have
with out it. But when that happens, I use it to promote Apache
first and foremost. Promoting myself or my other stuff is not
a factor.

Maybe it's my background that has instilled in me such a desire
to avoid any conflict of interests. Even perceived ones. And
my over-reaction may, by comparision, rub people the wrong way.
I apologize for that. Hell, I know I can come off like a pr*ck
sometimes. I freely admit that. Kind of reminds me of Patton: "Hell,
I know I'm a prima donna. But I admit it." :)

Are all my opinions correct? 'Course not. Like I said, I
don't claim to have all the answers, just opinions on 'em :) :)
                "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??"