httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: apache2-ng7
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2000 22:41:02 GMT
On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 07:34:19PM +0100, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> 2. Using GNU shtool in Apache more or less follows the same path as
>    using GNU libtool, GNU autoconf and GNU automake. For instance,
>    fact is that all these four tools are covered by the GPL. Full
>    stop. Nevertheless they can be _USED_ and _INCLUDED_ inside non-GPL
>    packages, because all four ship with particular GPL exception
>    clauses.

My main concern was that libtool's exception and yours are phrased
differently. libtool states that there is an explicit exemption when
the script is bundled with another package. shtool just has an
ancillary phrase stating the opinion that the GPL is not a problem in
this case. Let's just say that I don't have any evidence that RMS, or
other contributors to shtool agree with you. :)

And, if you have had any other contributors to shtool, I'm afraid that
you would no longer have the legal authority to relicense shtool if we
happened to be so inclined to use it.

Of course, IANAL, don't take before driving or operating heavy
machinery, etc.