httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: apache2-ng7
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2000 22:07:54 GMT

In article <200001051840.NAA08473@devsys.jaguNET.com> you wrote:
> Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>>
>> If the two packages would allow this, the ASF could too easily
>> create an ASF libtool and ASF shtool out of them, licensed under the
>> Apache license...
>
> Sounds like a good reason to use and create our own helpers (instead
> of shtools) and only use 3rd party when we really _need_ to (like
> the autoconf stuff) which is what we've done before anyway. Great!!

Sorry, Jim, my flair for English seems to be not sufficient to actually
decide whether you say this serious or ironic, but if you say it ironic
keep in mind that my above statement wasn't against ASF - it was against
any license with less restrictions, be it the Apache license or just
some other BSD-style license. So don't feel attacked, please. OTOH if
you say the above serious, I think such a non-technical decision would
be more than silly, because as I tried to explain: there has to be
no non-technical reason to not use shtool (or any other packages of
the Autoconf area), because at least for shtool you can get a special
license condition which can make you more happy if you're still not
happy enough through the existing exclusion clause.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com