httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sascha Schumann <sas...@schumann.cx>
Subject Re: apache2-ng7
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2000 02:10:39 GMT
On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 03:09:50PM -0600, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 03:00:09PM +0100, Sascha Schumann wrote:
> >     As mentioned earlier, I have started to work on improving the
> >     current automake-based build environment.
>
> I've just downloaded it, and it looks nice, though I haven't tried any
> of it yet.
>
> I really, really (really) hate to bring up licensing stuff; I don't
> care that much anyway. But this uses shtool, which is GPL. I don't
> know, and Ralf should correct me if I'm wrong, but if there were
> changes made by people besides Ralf, then shtool can't be relicensed
> Apache-style, and his interpretation on the viral effects of adding
> GPLed code may not be the only one that matters.

    The decision was based on a note in shtool's README.

  "Notice: Given that you include GNU shtool verbatim into your own
  source tree, you are justified in saying that it remains separate from
  your package, and that this way you are simply just using GNU shtool.
  So, in this situation, there is no requirement that your package
  itself is licensed under the GNU General Public License in order to
  take advantage of GNU shtool.

    Replacing shtool in my tree is not a problem though. I use
    only mkdir and install which also seem to be in helpers.

--

          Regards,

                            Sascha Schumann
                                 Consultant