httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: APR leaking HAVE_* macros
Date Wed, 01 Dec 1999 15:46:10 GMT
> The trick is getting consistant stuff. If one compiles Apache without
> one module, and it chooses the dbm_open in libc/libndbm and then
> another module in added and adjusts things so that libdb is
> searched first, then things will break.

Right, but that only precludes a module from choosing a library that has
symbol conflicts with another.  libndbm and libgdbm can happily co-exist,
for example.  This might actually be one of the advantages of having APR
and Apache autoconf separated (I have been trying to find a valid reason
for the current situation).  If libapr.a is configured and built first, it
will be easier to do test links to catch any symbol conflicts from stuff
modules may bring in.

We probably also need to address versioned libraries at some
point.  Currently we have the ability to load both mod_php3 and mod_php4
even though they have about a billion conflicting symbols.  On systems
that support versioning it works perfectly.

-Rasmus