httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: #ifdef MULTITHREAD in 1.3.9
Date Mon, 20 Dec 1999 20:37:45 GMT

It doesn't matter if this is a bug or not, we need to deal with it.  If a
SIGSEGV doesn't take down the whole process, we need to either take it
down, or spawn a new thread.  I don't really care which, because I am
assuming that a SIGSEGV in a linux thread is relatively safe to continue
executing through.  I am not saying this needs to be fixed ASAP, but we do
need to fix it before we release Apache 2.0.  We need to treat this just
like any other broken OS, and work around the problem.  The OS may be
Linux, but that doesn't mean it isn't broken, not taking down a process
when a thread SEGV's is broken, and we can't assume people are going to
upgrade their pthreads packages just because a new one is released.

Ryan

> Well, yeah, but this is really a bug. SIGSEGV is supposed to kill the
> whole process, but I think I found a bug which makes Linux break this
> rule. I got no response when I complained last month, but I haven't
> pushed very hard yet.
>
> Manoj

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd