httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: #ifdef MULTITHREAD in 1.3.9
Date Mon, 20 Dec 1999 17:39:02 GMT
> > We assume that none of the threads should die. I need to look at the code to
> > be sure, but I think if a thread exits, it will cause the entire child
> > process to exit (and be restarted by the parent).
>
> Oh, I see.  That'd be a Win32-specific detail that I was unaware of.
> If true then this approach makes sense.  Thanks.

I think for the most part, we assume on all platforms that if a thread
exits for an unknown reason, the whole process will be going down.  The
only real reason for a thread to die unexpectedly, is a seg fault, and
that should take down the whole process.  The one OS I can think of where
this isn't true, is Linux, because threads and processes are equivalent.
And possibly OS/2, where I think we are trapping the SIGSEGV and just
terminating the offending thread.

All of this applies to Apache 2.0

Ryan

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com