httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/threadproc/unix thread.c
Date Tue, 07 Dec 1999 13:02:40 GMT
On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Greg Stein wrote:

> >   Cleanup some mistakes I made.  We are now configuring the APR_HAS_FOO
> >   macros in a cleaner way IMO, and that required that we always use #if
> >   instead of #ifdef.  I also used the wrong #if HAVE_SIGNAL_H macro
> >   in apr_pools.c.
>
> This seems very wrong, to me. We just got done having a discussion that we
> would be using the #ifdef variety for feature testing. I do not think we
> ought to be using #ifdef for autoconf tests, but #if for APR tests. We are
> sure to run into a confusion somewhere and have unexpected results.
>
> Why can't we use #ifdef for APR, too?

Because of the separation that autoconf requires.  This code is MUCH
cleaner for the configuration.  I can define shell variables to be 0/1 or
I can define them to be "#define APR_HAS_THREADS 1"/"#under
APR_HAS_THREADS", and then substitute those shell variables into a header
file.  The first case is easier to understand when you look at the
pre-generated header file.  I personally believe Apache will end up
heading this way as well, because it will need to do the same basic steps
as I have already done to get the separation required.

Ryan

6209 H Shanda Dr.
Raleigh, NC 27609		Ryan Bloom -- thinker, adventurer, artist,
				     writer, but mostly, friend.