httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: .tgz MIME type?
Date Sun, 05 Dec 1999 01:21:56 GMT
On Sat, 4 Dec 1999, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Martin Kraemer wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 02, 1999 at 09:39:31PM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > > Should it be set to application/octet-stream? Or what?
> >
> > I'd say the Content-Type is application/x-tar, just like .tar
> > Only the Content-Encoding is gzip. Or am I mistaken?
>
> Hmm. A Content-Encoding of gzip would only be appropriate if one
> expected the client to unzip it as it arrived (and magically rename it
> to .tar?). So I'd say that isn't right.

I agree. Content-Encoding should not be used.

> The Content-Type is, in fact, a compressed tar, but there doesn't seem
> to be a way to say that.

Well, there *is* a way. It just appears there is not a standard MIME type
for it.

Call it "application/x-tar-gzip" or something.

Worst case, we could say "application/vnd.asf.tar-gzip", but I think this
is common, rather than vendor-specific.

Cheers,
-g

--