httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Peter W <>
Subject Re: .tgz MIME type?
Date Fri, 03 Dec 1999 22:04:52 GMT
At 2:25pm Dec 3, 1999, Cade Cairns wrote:

> According to my MIME types file, it should be application/x-gtar.

Isn't that for "gtar" (GNU tar?), not "gz"? It's an interesting question,
the idea of multipart subtypes. Quick glances at RFC's 2045 and 2046
suggest something like this for .tgz / .tar.gz

or some other "parameter" to better describe this instance of what is, at
its heart, a tar file. Both Netscape 4.7 and MSIE 4.0 seem happy to accept
such additional parameters, though they don't know what they mean. I guess
they shouldn't, if such a parameter is not already defined. :-(

AFAIK, the authoritative list of official MIME types is

Anybody else think a bunch of these subtypes like "x-tar" ought to be
officially proposed as "tar" or "vnd.gnu-tar" or something? (Of course
that would break exsiting browsers, but looking forward, if we define
them, maybe the browsers will catch up...)

> On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > Should it be set to application/octet-stream? Or what?

View raw message