httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Peter W <pet...@usa.net>
Subject Re: Mass virtual hosting - how to handle ftp?
Date Fri, 03 Dec 1999 12:19:12 GMT
At 11:41am Dec 3, 1999, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Graham Leggett wrote:
>
> > We have been looking at the mass virtual hosting module for Apache to
> > create an environment where we can have lots of userids inside an LDAP
> > database

> > The hard part is the fact that we also need to provide these users with
> > ftp access to their directories... and we definitely don't want to
> > create posix accounts

> I've done several custom hack's for customers based on the wu-ftpd and
> effectivly chroot() the user to his section.
>
> The backends we used withere either berkely DB (shared with apache and
> mod_rewrite), Netscape's LDAP and, in one case, mSQL.

> We are only talking a couple of lines of
> code.

I note that Red Hat 6.1 ships with an LDAP PAM module, and the PAM configs
suggest that its ftpd is PAM-aware, so... maybe you should look at the
source; the ftpd should be portable, and PAM is pretty well supported now
(at least on the Unix-like OS'es I play with; I don't recall if you
specified which flavor you intend to use). I suspect you may need to
modify the LDAP user object schema, as the LDAP PAM module may expect some
POSIX-like attributes. But as long as no other services consider the LDAP
server / that subtree a legitimate source of real POSIX accounts, you
should be OK.

Good luck,

-Peter