httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [Patch]: Make cgis work properly under unix.
Date Mon, 06 Dec 1999 20:26:09 GMT

> If this patch is to be vetoed, then the same code needs to be
> removed from the windows version of proc.c which is where this
> code was copied from.

Then the windows code is wrong too.  The fact remains, if we are calling
ap_create_process, then the arguments should be:

argv[0] == progname
argv[1] == arg1
argv[2] == arg2

This is the way POSIX expects it, and we shouldn't be re-inventing things
here.  If the code doesn't currently do this, then we need to fix it
correctly, not break it even worse.

> Second, all of the places where ap_create_process is called must
> be checked for argv[] passing. This includes mod_cgi, mod_include,
> and mod_mime_magic (http_log and mod_rewrite don't pass any argv[]s).

Actaully, since we used to use POSIX functions, there shouldn't be any
need to change anything in the main tree, we are bringing our code into
line with POSIX.

> Third, I didn't add "my_stupid_string" or "$SHELL_PATH -c". Those
> were both already there, they were only included as part of the unified
> diff.

I never said you put them there.  I explicitly stated these were problems
I had with the code as it stands now.  These were nits I have that I found
because they were in your patch, I did not blame you for putting them
there, you simply brought them to my attention.

In fact, I am the person who put the SHALL_PATH code in, I just didn't
remember it.  :->

Leave the nits alone, because they are minor, and I only brought them up
because they bugged me when I saw them.  I still stand by my -1, because I
don't want to break this code even worse than it already is.  If you read
the documentation in the ap_create_process call, I explicitly state that
the first argument should be the program name.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd