httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Apache autoconf leakage :-)
Date Mon, 06 Dec 1999 18:54:34 GMT

The problem comes down to httpd.h including the file that is defining ALL
of our HAVE_FOO_H and all the other autoconf macros.  This is the same
problem we had with APR and autoconf.  There are some macros that Apache
wants kept hidden, and some that Apache wants other packages to get access
to.

Unfortunately, autoconf/automake don't allow this distinction, all macros
get put in one file.  So, there are three solutions:

1)  Protect the namespace in autoconf/automake (requires modifications to
those packages)

2)  Protect the namespace by ourselves.  This is what APR did, but it
requries some work be done to define the public macros, and any macros
autoconf/automake define implicitly are private.

3)  dump autoconf and automake.  I don't like this idea yet.  I am getting
closer to liking this, because it seems that these two programs keep
thorwing up roadblocks.  But, that may just be my impression, and like I
said, I am not convinced that they are bad programs yet.

I personally like option 1.  It is the least amount of work, and it is
useful for pretty much any automake/autoconf project.

Ryan